This one is for the ladies in the corporate world, who want to look dignified and command respectwithoutintimidating others. Here is my ultimate cheat sheet on business wear.
The key is to look appropriate. When you’re climbing the corporate ladder, you want people to respect you, which means presenting yourself in a professional manner. So here are my tips on showcasing you as a businesswoman:
(1) Keep your neck area covered. Don’t show even a hint of cleavage.
(2) Well-fitting trousers are good. If you do have to wear denim, try dark shades. Darker the shades, more authority they carry.
(3) Minimal makeup. Absolutely no perfume. Maybe a teeny tiny splash of body spray.
(4) Heel shoes are fine, but maybe not stilletos.
(5) Avoid sleeveless tops that tend to show flesh, though you can definitely layer on a jacket with a sleeveless top.
(6) Keep your bra lines and panty lines in check. Wear the correct sizes in lingerie to avoid lines on your outfit.
(7) Stay away from t-shirts, even on casual office days. They just don’t spell office wear.
(8) Don’t get overboard with accessories. Avoid too chunky, too bright, too noisy accessories.
(9) Keep a check on your panty hose. Store an extra pair in your office in case of emergencies. Or better yet, wear tights.
(10) Concentrate on your top half – wear a well-ironed blouse or shirt – this is where people are concentrating when they talk with you.
If you have your own little gems of knowledge to share on this particular issue of business wear, drop me a line.
Love what you just read? Drop us a line in the Comments section below with your feedback – good or bad. If you have a question, or would like Ankitaa to blog about something in particular, try using the Contact Us page, or email here.